How To Get Rid Of Wet Hay

Tuesday, July 2nd, 2019

Wet, rotting hay is not something you want around, and is especially something you want to avoid feeding to your livestock. Like any organic material acts, hay will begin to rot quickly when exposed to warm air, water, and oxygen. It’s the perfect breeding ground for bacteria and fungi, so be careful!

First and foremost, DO NOT burn wet hay! It most likely contains mold growths which, when burned, will release tiny spores in the air that can enter your lungs and cause respiratory infections. This is a rule that applies to any rotting organic material! It is best to use the hay as a soil amender, which means it will act as a booster that allows the soil to retain moisture more easily and store nutrients. Adding the rotting hay to a compost pile may be better than adding it directly to the soil you wish to amend. You can also ask a recycling service to dispose of the hay.

Loading...